Although religion brings millions of people around the world comfort, some aspects of belief systems are so damn creepy.
Take religious art, for example. Statues and idols of various sorts have always been used to aid in worship across multiple faiths. The concept of having an object onto which you can focus your thoughts and prayers is a good thing in theory. Sometimes, however, things can get a little out of control and take a sharp left into crazytown. Take these creepy works, for example.
1. That one in the window is what nightmares are made of.
2. This old church in the Czech Republic is now a storage locker for old statues.
3. This church tried to make their Jesus statue more realistic by using glass eyes.
4. Not exactly a statue, but it’s still a freaky addition to this Austrian church.
5. Here’s a statue depicting the taming of Lucifer. Pleasant!
6. Nothing like an underwater Jesus statue to stoke your fears of open water.
7. This massive Jesus sculpture in Ohio was actually struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Was it a sign? Probably.
8. I’m here for Jacked Jesus. Thanks, South Korea.
9. Here we have a statue of Bartholomew the Apostle. He was apparently flayed alive by the Romans. That cape he’s wearing? It’s not a cape at all. It’s his skin.
10. This is a statue of St. Denis. Can you guess how he died?
11. This person’s attempt at keeping their religious statue from freezing is a bit frightening.
12. One of these things is not like the others…
13. No, this isn’t from a Satanic church. It’s just a sculpture of the Devil hanging out in a Christian church.
14. That’s a priest with his arm around a half-naked boy. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.
15. It’s the perspective that’s freaky about this one.
16. What is going on with that lone face embedded into the bottom?
17. This was found in the office of a youth pastor. It looks like something from the opening scene of a horror movie.
Having a bunch of creepy-looking statues in your church or place of worship is not actually helpful for attracting new followers. These things are just creepy.