As a parent, it can be a struggle to get your kids to eat their fruits and veggies. If candy were a vegetable, you’d have no problem getting them to eat it, but for the less sugary options such as green beans or broccoli, it can feel like the start of World War III just trying to get them to have one bite.
For some reason, though, when any dish ends with the words fries, tots, or sticks, they eat like they’ve been starved for months at a time. With that in mind, we give you a healthy — and kid-friendly — veggie meal option.
Your kids will never put up a fight to eat their vegetables again with these broccoli tots.
Try this awesome snack tonight (just don’t tell the kids these are actually healthy). The full recipe is below:
- 12 ounces of broccoli
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of scallions
- 2/3 cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Marinara sauce
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for two minutes.
- Strain and chop the veggies into smaller pieces before adding to a mixing bowl with one beaten egg, breadcrumbs, scallions, cheese, garlic, and hot sauce. Mix together.
- Form the mixture into tot-shapes and chill in the fridge.
- Place the tots on a cooking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes at 400°, flipping them halfway through.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!