5 Secrets to Make Your Hands 10 Years Younger
Hands usually give away your age because they age more quickly than your face. However, you can avoid this if you take proper care of them.
FunnyModo gathered a few pieces of advice and rules to keep your hands pretty for longer.
Wash your hands correctly
Frequent contact with soap can make your hands lose moisture and start flaking. Follow these simple rules to avoid it:
- Don’t use antibacterial soap unless absolutely necessary. Avoid perfumes: they dry your skin and may cause irritation. Opt for moisturizing soap with jojoba oil, olive oil, or aloe vera.
- Wash your hands with warm but not hot water to preserve the natural protective layer.
- Avoid electric dryers in favor of paper towels.
Your hands are constantly under stress due to external factors such as cold, chemicals, and dry air. To minimize the damage, you should have gloves for all occasions:
- Leather or fur gloves or mittens for cold weather.
- Rubber or latex ones for household chores (washing dishes, mopping floors, cleaning the bathtub, etc).
- Cloth gloves for gardening.
Moisten your hands regularly
A good hand cream is as crucial as soap or shampoo, so choose and use it wisely.
- Apply the cream as needed but no less than twice a day (morning and evening). If you have dry skin, put a tube of cream near the sink and apply it every time after washing your hands. For best effect, apply the cream, put on cotton gloves, and go to bed like that.
- Your nails need moisturizing too. Rub some hand cream into them, and purchase a vitamin E cream for the cuticles.
- Your skin needs moisture from the inside as well as outside, so drink enough water.
- Buy a humidifier, and turn it on when the air’s dry.
Remember to scrub
Apart from cream, your hands need scrubbing and masks once a week.
- Hand masks are made of products you often have in your fridge. For instance, mix half an avocado, an egg yolk, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply it to your hands, and let rest for 20 minutes. Find other mask recipes here.
- You can use a mix of olive oil and sugar as a scrub, or look up other options here.
- Advice for the lazy: when you use a body scrub or a face mask, simply apply them to your hands as well.
One of the main signs of age is hand skin hyperpigmentation. The reason is not in aging or liver dysfunction, as you may have heard, but the effect of the sun. Age just triggers its accumulative property.
- To avoid abundant pigment spots, regularly apply sunscreen to your hands.
- Citrus fruits are a good natural “whitener.” For example, you can regularly make masks out of 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp milk, and 1 tsp honey. For other natural recipes for whitening your hand skin, see here.